Remote working is a common reality in today's world. This article points to a very useful podcast on the topic of working remotely.
|Podcast title||Remote Working in an Agile World|
|Presenters||Raji Bhamidipati via BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT|
|Web link||Podcast link|
The Remote Working in an Agile World podcast is a 50 minute podcast video focusing on different aspects of how to effectively and efficiently work remotely.
The podcast discusses a wide-range of topics related to remote working - some are discussed in more detail than others.
Topics mentioned in the podcast include the following:
- Communicate effectively in distributed teams with focus on politeness, mutual understanding, patience and respect.
- Maintain leadership with remote teams based on trust without micromanaging and offer flexibility in communication.
- Invest in technology including good audio/visual-conferencing systems and regular one-on-one/group meetings.
- Have team days; get everyone together in the same location on a regular basis.
- Err on the side of over-communicating (Rule of 7, repeat it 7 times).
- Create streams of work (channels); avoid getting spammed by too many messages (i.e. Slack).
- Seek ways to create "water cooler" moments.
- Leverage co-working spaces to counter loneliness.
- Pro-actively speak up in meetings and advertise your work.
- Maintain social interaction and reach out to people, when needed.
- Create a special home work-zone and don't mix work space and home space if possible.
- Establish clear work times.
- Take care of your physical and mental well-being.
Overall, this podcast offers nuggets for newcomers as well as for folks who are already experienced with remote working.