BSSw Fellows receive recognition and funding to be advocates of high-quality scientific software and leaders in the field.
Timeline for 2021 BSSw Fellowship Program
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020: Fellowship applications now being accepted.
- Wednesday, Sept 9, 4:00-5:00 PM EDT: Fellowship webinar, Q&A. Subscribe to our mail list to be notified about details. Please see the FAQ page, where we will post Q&A slides, as well as the questions that have been raised (with answers, of course!)
- Wednesday, Sept 30, 2020: Application deadline, before midnight, PDT. This is a firm deadline that will not be extended.
- December 2020: Announcement of selection of 2021 BSSw Fellows.
- January 4, 2021 – March 31, 2022: Period of performance for 2021 BSSw Fellows.
- April 12-15, 2021: Fellows honored at the DOE ECP Annual Meeting in Houston, TX.
The BSSw Fellowship program fosters and promotes practices, processes, and tools to improve developer productivity and software sustainability of scientific codes. BSSw Fellows are selected annually based on an application process that includes the proposal of a funded activity that promotes better scientific software. We select at least three Fellows per year and honorable mentions as appropriate. Each 2021 BSSw Fellow will receive up to $25,000 for an activity that promotes better scientific software. Activities can include organizing a workshop, preparing a tutorial, or creating content to engage the scientific software community.
- Describe your work relevant to scientific software (1000 - 1500 characters).
- Describe your background and experience relevant to being a BSSw Fellow (1000 - 1500 characters).
Proposed work and impact:
- What would you do as a BSSw Fellow? (1000 - 1500 characters).
- What impact do you foresee from your efforts? (1000 - 1500 characters).
- Which BSSw focus areas and subtopics apply to your proposed work? Specify all that apply. See https://bssw.io for a list of focus areas and subtopics (e.g., Focus Area: Planning; Subtopic: Requirements).
Questions must be answered directly in the fields of the online application form. Answers provided elsewhere (e.g., github repo) and linked in the application form will not be reviewed.
Applications for the BSSw Fellowship Program
Applications are closed for the 2021 BSSw Fellowship Program. Please check back for information about the 2022 BSSw Fellowship application process; subscribe to our mailing list to receive details.
The BSSw Fellowship is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and National Science Foundation.